A recent survey has provided an intriguing insight into the UK’s sleeping patterns, and has shown we’re not getting enough of it.
The study, carried out by the Great British Sleep Survey, revealed that only 51% of us can claim that we get sufficient slumber time each night and that London, the South East and the North West are Britain’s biggest sleepers, with Wales and the North East not getting enough shut eye.
So what is keeping nearly half of us awake each night? Well the most common issue hitting Brits seems to be ‘a racing mind’ and the stresses of our day to day lives affecting our sleep patterns.
So what affects does a poor night’s sleep have upon our health? The study compiled by Great British Survey shows the effects of a poor night’s sleep:
- Seven times more likely to feel helpless
- Twice as likely to feel fatigued
- Struggle with productivity
- Twice as likely to suffer mood swings
So how can we combat this and ensure we get your sleep pattern back on track? Here are some useful tips to give you a great night’s sleep:
- Take control of your sleep by setting a steady and constant routine. Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time.
- Dozy after dinner? Avoid those early evening naps by doing something productive after your meal like calling a friend, cleaning the dishes or some mild housework.
- Relax those weary muscles and take a bath or shower accompanied by some soothing music to really let your mind and body wander into slumber.
- Is a night cap your perfect way to end an evening? Well put the hooch down and opt for a warm milk or malt based drink. Although alcohol can help you slip off, when it digests you could find yourself struggling with nightmares and night terrors.
- Don’t go to bed in a mood. If it’s possible, allow yourself at least an hour to unwind in front of the TV or reading a book before bed to ensure your sufficiently relaxed.
The Odd Mattress Company boasts an extensive range of mattresses and bed bases, made using the highest quality materials and fabrics.