So you’ve spent hours tossing and turning and you just can’t get to sleep. You’ve even resorted to counting sheep. Maybe you just need a completely dark room to help you drift off. Read on to discover more about who would benefit from wearing an eye mask for sleeping and how one can help you get that perfect night’s rest.
What is an eye mask?
An eye mask is a dark cover worn around the eyes, designed to block out any light. They can help you fall and stay asleep.
They come in different sizes and materials, so all feel different. It is important to try them out before you buy, to ensure they are comfortable.
Who would benefit from using an eye mask for sleeping?
Eye masks can benefit anyone who has trouble falling asleep or for someone who wakes up during the night. But they are popular with people who want to sleep in places such as aeroplanes, when it can be difficult in the surroundings of so many others.
Those who do shift work would also benefit from a sleep mask as they may be trying to get some shut-eye in the daytime.
What to look for in a good eye mask
The top priority for an eye mask is that it is comfortable. It shouldn’t put pressure around your eyes. Plus, no one wants to wake up having to adjust their mask because they’ve got an agonising indent in their nose – you have to be able to breathe!
The mask should not be made from wool or other itchy materials. Plastics are also not ideal, as they can end up sticking to your face in the summer months. A thick cotton is a good choice but whichever material you choose, the mask should be opaque.
What are the benefits of wearing an eye mask?
• They are good for people who are easily distracted by light when trying to sleep.
• Eye masks infused with essential oils can also help induce sleep via a deeper sense of relaxation.
• Plane passengers will find they can nap wearing the mask, when others have lights on for reading
What are the disadvantages of eye masks?
• If they are too tight, they can leave impressions in your face and around your nose. Too slack and you could end up putting it back in place all night.
• You may feel self-conscious with one on, especially if you are sleeping in the same bed as your partner or on a plane!
• You’ll need to wash them frequently so it’s a good idea to buy a few and rotate them often.
• If you are not one of the world’s best early risers, you will need to set an alarm to get up as the mask will block out the morning light.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential for optimum health. The most important way to do this is to get a quality mattress, which can be designed to your specifications. An eye mask will create a more restful experience to block out light. For more ways to get a blissful night’s sleep call our team of experts on 01772 786666.